Real Estate Training Solutions

Where do I find the real estate legislation?


Real estate agents can’t always know the answer to every question. Often, just as you think you know all there is to know, the legislation changes again anyway. What is most important is that agents need to know how to access the legislation, to check first hand some of the more difficult aspects of real estate practice. 

Where can you go to locate this legislation?

If the legislation is regulated by NSW Fair Trading, you will be able to locate it here:

By accessing the legislation through the NSW Fair Trading web site, you can be assured that you are accessing the current version.  The NSW Fair Trading web site also has a lot of published information explaining the legislation, especially the Property Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 and Regulation 2014, which is the main legislation relevant to real estate agent activities. They also publish a lot of information about the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 and Regulation 2010. 

Another place to go to locate the real estate legislation is the official NSW Government legislation web site, which contains authorised versions of NSW legislation:

Note this covers all NSW legislation, not only those regulated by NSW Fair Trading.  

You can access Federal legislation on the Australian Government Federal here:

Knowing your way around the key legislation, and how to locate it, is an important part of success, both in studying real estate, and also even more importantly when you are working in the real estate industry.  All of RETS courses look at the different types of legislation that govern the property sector.


May 23, 2019