Frequently Asked Questions

What course do I need to complete to enter the real estate industry in NSW?

In NSW the minimum legal requirement to sell or lease property is the Certificate of Registration, which you can obtain from NSW Fair Trading. To obtain the Certificate of Regsitration you need to successfully complete 4 units of competence, which RETS conducts (click here for the Certificate course).


When I complete my  Certificate of Registration units with RETS, what do I do next?

You will need to follow the application process with NSW Fair Trading. Click here to go to NSW Fair Trading .

What is the difference between a Certificate of Registration/Salespersons Certicate and the Real Estate Agents Licence?

A real estate agents Licence enables you to open your own real estate office. The Certificate of Registration allows you to work as an agent under a Licensed person.

I want to complete one of your courses - what do I do next?

Go to the course you are intertested in and follow the instructions on the relevant page. Otherwise give us a call in the office during business hours and we can assist you. - you can access this wherever you are on the site. Please ensure you read the Student Handbook prior to enroling. 

Why do I have to do CPD?

In NSW renewal of a licence or certificate of registration under the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 is conditional on licence and certificate holders undertaking continuing professional development each year. Continuing professional development has been introduced as a mechanism for professionalising the industry and promoting high standards. The requirements for continuing professional development are aimed at maintaining public confidence by ensuring that industry participants are continually updating their skills. If you do not complete your annual CPD you are not fulfilling the requirements of your licence or certificate of registration.

What is a 'certified' copy?

For further information on 'certifying' your qualifications or transcripts click the link Certified Copies Certified Copies (24.43 KB)

What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

As of the 1st January 2015 it is a government requirement that all students (and continuing students) have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This USI must be provided to your RTO prior to issuance of your certificate at the completion of your course.

Subsequently RETS requests that you create a USI and provide it to us as soon as possible. When we have your USI we will verify it against your name and date of birth details you have provided to us on your enrolment form. After the 1/1/15 if we do not have this USI we are unable to issue you with a certificate on completion of your course.

Click here to view a Fact Sheet on the USI.

Instructions to obtain a USI.

1: Go to

2: Click Create your USI

3: Have a form of ID as mentioned before clicking continue

4: Click continue

5: Read Terms and Conditions

6: Click agree tick box and click next

7: Click create USI

8: Fill in personal information in required fields

9: Click Next

10: Confirm your details check to see that they are all correct make changes if needed

11: Click Next

12: Tick which form of ID you will be using and click next

13: Fill in required field regarding you form of ID

14: Click next

15: Create a password and set questions

16: Click next

Your USI should appear on the screen. Please note this number down somewhere safe and email us a copy!!